Monday, August 13, 2012

Install Coffeescript Ubuntu Software Center


I was trying to follow the install process from the coffeescript website, several tutorial websites, as well as the pragmatic bookshelf's book on coffeescript. I kept getting an error when I try to install npm, and another error when I try to install coffeescript.

Good thing I looked into the Ubuntu Software Center, and there it is!

I simply click on the install button, and I have coffeescript on my pc in less than a minute. I fired up my terminal to see which version I have-- version 1.1.1

To further verify this, I fired up the terminal, then typed in "node". This takes me to the Node.js REPL, an environment where you can interactively run commands. Now enter... require('coffeescript'):
$ node

> require('coffee-script')

Which gave me this output--
> require('coffee-script')
{ VERSION: '1.1.1',
  RESERVED: 
   [ 'case',
     'default',
     'function',
     'var',
     'void',
     'with',
     'const',
     'let',
     'enum',
     'export',
     'import',
     'native',
     '__hasProp',
     '__extends',
     '__slice',
     '__bind',
     '__indexOf',
     'true',
     'false',
     'null',
     'this',
     'new',
     'delete',
     'typeof',
     'in',
     'instanceof',
     'return',
     'throw',
     'break',
     'continue',
     'debugger',
     'if',
     'else',
     'switch',
     'for',
     'while',
     'do',
     'try',
     'catch',
     'finally',
     'class',
     'extends',
     'super',
     'undefined',
     'then',
     'unless',
     'until',
     'loop',
     'of',
     'by',
     'when',
     'and',
     'or',
     'is',
     'isnt',
     'not',
     'yes',
     'no',
     'on',
     'off' ],
  helpers: 
   { starts: [Function],
     ends: [Function],
     compact: [Function],
     count: [Function],
     merge: [Function],
     extend: [Function],
     flatten: [Function],
     del: [Function],
     last: [Function] },
  compile: [Function],
  tokens: [Function],
  nodes: [Function],
  run: [Function],
  eval: [Function] }

The book, Pragmatic Bookshelf, Coffeescript tells me that if you get this output, everything is A-OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment